Articles on this Page
- 06/19/15--10:48: _Java Console
- 06/19/15--11:20: _Backup Exec 2014 dr...
- 06/19/15--14:02: _How to read LTO3 ta...
- 06/19/15--15:24: _Incrementals, Diffe...
- 06/19/15--16:20: _Backup Exec Job stu...
- 06/19/15--20:01: _upgrade backup exec...
- 06/20/15--03:29: _Need to find expira...
- 06/20/15--04:33: _Cancel Pending...
- 06/20/15--06:28: _Error backup exec 12.5
- 06/20/15--19:25: _Catalog relocation ...
- 06/21/15--17:10: _Catalog Recovery Wi...
- 06/21/15--18:15: _What is Symantec Ba...
- 06/22/15--07:48: _License Renewals fo...
- 06/22/15--07:59: _Active Directory re...
- 06/22/15--09:49: _Administrator doesn...
- 06/22/15--10:25: _Backup Failed with ...
- 06/22/15--11:27: _ RedHat vs. Netback...
- 06/22/15--11:28: _OpCenter month end ...
- 06/22/15--12:34: _upgrading Solaris c...
- 06/22/15--15:37: _Leap Second
- 06/19/15--10:48: Java Console
- 06/19/15--11:20: Backup Exec 2014 drops user account for OST.
- 06/19/15--14:02: How to read LTO3 tapes with LTO4 or LTO5 media
- 06/19/15--15:24: Incrementals, Differentials and Fulls
- 06/19/15--16:20: Backup Exec Job stuck in Queue
- 06/19/15--20:01: upgrade backup exec 2012 to 2015
- 06/20/15--03:29: Need to find expiration date of media if not in library.
- 06/20/15--04:33: Cancel Pending...
- 06/20/15--06:28: Error backup exec 12.5
- 06/20/15--19:25: Catalog relocation using ALTPATH is not working
- 06/21/15--17:10: Catalog Recovery Without Import
- 06/21/15--18:15: What is Symantec Backup Executive?
- 06/22/15--07:48: License Renewals for BE2012 showing as "Unknown Option"
- SYMC BACKUP EXEC 15 AGENT FOR VMWARE AND HYPER-V WIN PER HOST SERVER RENEWAL ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS EXPRESS BAND S
- SYMC BACKUP EXEC 15 SERVER WIN PER SERVER RENEWAL ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS EXPRESS BAND S
- 06/22/15--07:59: Active Directory restore
- 06/22/15--11:27: RedHat vs. Netbackup version compatibility question.
- 06/22/15--11:28: OpCenter month end reporting
- Last friday of the month change the vauly job name from Daily to Monthly
- The following Monday (or when final month end runs) we run a query against the catalog using Fri-Sun dates (these are the dates the Month End fulls run) as the range. Within this query we will have all the servers that were backed up, tape numbers, etc.
- This is then copied into an excel file and a pivot table is run against it to narrow the number of clients and backup streams.
- Validate existing servers vs what was backed up (Problem with this step is if someone has decomissioned a server and not notified the group your number os jobs do not reconcile in the spreadsheet).
- The final step is extract the tape numbers, notify our DataCenter, and eject those tapes from our robot.
- 06/22/15--12:34: upgrading Solaris client from 188.8.131.52 to 184.108.40.206
- 06/22/15--15:37: Leap Second
I have to run NBU on a laptop with 1366x768 resolution. The only problem I have is with the "Change Policy" window. You can't see or get to the buttons at the bottom. Anyway to reduce the size of the java screen? This is Java 220.127.116.11
Backup Exec 2014
CASO server in our DR faciltiy. Only job running on it is the backup of the HQ BUExec Server
1 Member server in HQ. 500 jobs, but many duplicates etc so only 150 servers right now.
Main jobs: Start on Friday night (staggered start though the weekend) with fulls, and weekly incrementals. backup to DataDomain 2500 using 18.104.22.168 plugin.
Duplicate to DDataDomain in DR.
12 concurrencies set on both OST devices.
DR's is shared so that the MAIN can duplicate to it.
90%+ are VMDK backups to disk with GRT active.
The latest issue is this: If a server reboots (Say windows update) or hell even if services restarts, as in a service crash which unfortunately is still frequent, as in at least 2x's in the past week...the server can, and often does drop the name of the OST log in and about 1/2 the time switches it to the System Login Account. Trying to get the two servers to both have the accounts active can take many many many service restarts, as when I set the DR login it requires me to restart services on BOTH machines, which then causes the member server @ HQ to loose its login to the local OST, and a viscous circle ensues until suddenly they both show up all happy like. Of course it can take 15+ minutes after a service restart for the server to finish searching for devices, so I can spen HOURS just trying to get the names associated correctly.
I need to read and restore information from LTO3 tapes using LTO4 or LTO5. Is this possible?? The netbackup version is 7.0.1
Please help me with this, I cannot find specific information about this.
For example sake,
1st of month - Full backup
2nd-9th of month - Incrementals
10th of month - Differential
11th-19th - Incrementals
20 of month - Differential
21st - 29th - Incrementals
Okay....so my question is as follows. If I want to delete some B2D files to create free space, could I delete the Incrementals and differentials from the 2nd thru the 19th? And if I want to restore data from the 20th - 29th, do those restore jobs need any of the .bkf files from the 2nd thru the 19th?
My environment: Windows Server 2012 and Backup Exec 2014, but the problem and solution should apply to recent versions of BE.
Wed night, backup jobs ran as scheduled and I tested restores from disk and from tape that same day. Came in Thur morning and all backup jobs were queued and ready to run but none of them had started to wite. (BTW I am writing to a disk device defined as a local folder and then duplicating the data to tape in the same job. I have about 10 jobs backing up VMs, files and databases on several servers.)
(1) There was an error: Unable to initialize and communicate with a device . . .
(2) Anyplace in the BE interface where a storage device was prompted, if the control was selected, it would almost immediately be de-selected. A drop-down list would expand and immediately collapse making it diffiicult to select/ change a device. Applied to editing a job, defining a storage device, etc.
(3) In the Storage tab - (The Device in question) - Job History, the screen would flash the information as if it were in a refresh loop. Other devices would display job history as expected.
I worked with level 1 support and was elevated to level 2. Level 2 did a DB repair and I completed a software repair via Add/Remove programs. The problem was not fixed by the end of the day.
When I arrived on Friday, I created a second disk device and added it to a new disk pool and that device showed normally on the screen, meaning no refresh loops. Before I could run a test backup job to that device, Symantec called back and, through Webex, we continued debugging the issue.
After a while, we talked about the specific device being corrupt. We tried to remove the disk device and received a message "Catastrophic Error."
The tech shutdown BE services and then he dropped into PowerShell (command line) and started a SQL session using "OSQL." He queried the device to get a four digit device ID and then he removed the device using the device ID.
He restarted the services and restarted the GUI and added a disk device with the same information as the old device. He then added the device to the original disk pool and we ran a test backup job.
All was well with the world and Backup Exec.
Hope this info helps!
** Important: The BE DB repair did NOT report or fix the problem and (I assume) Symantec supplied OSQL tool was used to modify the BE database. **
I do not remember the statements, I.E. tables and columns, entered, but they were standard SQL select and delete.
We are currently using backup exec 2012 on windows storage server 2008 r2 standard x64 edition
and i digup some article on how to upgrade to the current version
" to upgrade from Backup Exec 12.5 to Backup Exec 15, you must first upgrade to a version such as Backup Exec 14 before you can upgrade to Backup Exec 15. "
my question is since it's 64 bit OS can we upgrade 15 now or do we have to wait till end of summer
" A Backup Exec 15 software upgrade image for the Backup Exec appliance will be available summer, 2015.A Backup Exec 15 software upgrade image for the Backup Exec appliance will be available summer, 2015."
and what about licensing do i have to update the key
Is there any way to find the expiration date of those media which is not in library (or sent offsite).
I need to edit a backup Job, but a verify Job was running. So I canceled it. Now the verify Job hangs at "Cancel Pending". Does anybody know of a way to force the cancel of any Job?
At the Moment there are around 20 other backup Jobs running, so shutdown the Server or restart any Services isn't an Option.
I've got this all the time, that some Job hangs at different states and the only solution I've ever heard from the Support or read in the net would be to shut down the Server or stop the Services, ou sorry, it's Backup Exec, I mean to kill the Services over Task Manager, because they also can't be stopped over the GUI without failures.
A way to force this would be a great benefit.
As I have to backup around 100 Servers, I can't always just restart the Server. There is always a Duplicate Job, Backup Job or catalog Job which is running and I would have to search and restart these Jobs.
Thank you for a Feedback and have a nice Weekend
my name is Luca.
I installed on a server backup exec 12.5 with all available updates.
To back up we have a librerira Automated Tandberg StorageLoader LTO3.
Since last week I get the following error when I make up:
"The process has failed and reported the following error: There was an error reading / writing of the tape. Usually the reason is because the read / write tape drive are dirty. Clean 'tape drive, and then try to run the process. If the problem persists, try using another tape. also ensure that there are no problems with the cables or terminations or other types of hardware. "
I launched the cleaning utility on storage and I pointed out the cleaning tape.
So I bought a new cleaning tape; on StorageLoader correctly recognized as the backup exec recognize me only 7 of 8 slots.
the eighth slot would be occupied by a cleaning tape.
I have already tried:
1) update firmware & drivers StorageLoader
2) reinstall backup exec from scratch
3) remove and reload the media tape from backup exec
but continues to recognize only 7 of 8 slots.
The cleaning tape can be broken?
Sorry for the length of the text, but I wanted to be clear enough.
Thanks to anyone who will give me some help.
Master Server:- 22.214.171.124 (Win 2008 R2)
Trying to move image db from c:/ to d:/
referred below article.
1:- Copied all the c:/ images folder to d:/db
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\db\images to d:/db
2:- on c:/ drive in images created ALTPATH on each client folder and redirected the location to d:/db
Still its going to c:/ drive not d:/ drive location.
I am trying catalog recovery from an old master to a new master without importing the media. I have already added all the media to a read only pooland now looking for basically two things.
1) Usage of cat_export and cat_import - There is no common staging area as they don't share any network.
How should i run , if i can get an output i can copy using USB drive to my location.
2) there are 200 clients same on both old and new , i can copy all of the others to db/images. i am thinking of a way where i can copy images of the duplicate clients as well as there backup time and policy names are totally diffrent.
ANy issues i could face while cat_import -please suggest its usage as well.
What is Symantec Backup Executive? What does it do?
Question: Are the new licenses working, despite the red "key " icon and the "Unknown Option" listing as shown below?
Windows 2008R2 SP1 server with BackupExec 2012 SP4.
Just received renewal licenses for BE Server and BE Agents for 1-year maintenance:
Installed the two SLF files.
The "key" icon is still showing red, but the license counter shows "404 days unitl 2 maintenance contracts expire".
Now the Maintenance Contract Information is showing the new renewals as "Unknown Option", although the s/n and expiration dates are correct.
When i browse active directory server in restore option, “D:_AD-DB_NTDS” is greyed out. Even the “Active Directory” option is also greyed out. Please suggest , how to select this individual file in case of AD restore.
I have enabled "Granular recovery option" in the backup policy.
We have a folderRedirect for all Users and they are the explicit owner of the folder. I am restoring the entire directory to a new folder on a completely different Server and it will NOT copy the files over. I mounted the directory and tried to use Xcopy to copy them over and I get a "permissions" error. I don't want to go through and use icacls to take ownership and grant rights to Administrator. Which Symantec tool should copy over the files with permissions in tact? Since I nor the Symantec Service account (domain admins) don't have access "Granular Restore" tool is not working. It only restore a few folders that Domain Admin is the CO-OWNER of.
The new folder has Administrator with full rights (Do I need to remove that?)
Thanks for your assistance!
We have a symantec backup Exec 2010 runningon a windows server 2008 R2. everything was running fine but last weekly backup failed with the following error e0000f16 - The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed..
I am fairly new to the Symantec backup but these are the things i have already checked:
I checked the job properties and it is poiting to the correct media set.
tape library is not offline and it shows up in the windows device manager. i restarted the bacjup services from tools - backup exec services and everything looks fine.
Please let me know what else i can do?
I have a question about version compatibility. I can't tell you the NBU version at this time. We are running NBU on RedHat 5.2. Generally speaking will a version of NBU that is running on RHEL 5.2 be fine when we upgrade to RHEL 5.11? I there a NBU version below which it will not run on RHEL5.11?
Thanks, for you response
First time post,
Trying to improve our month end validation. We are currently running NBU 126.96.36.199 and every month we perform a month end validation which consit of the following steps:
My question. Is there an easier way to do this in OpsCenter or anywhere else in NBU to extract the tape numbers for the clients that were backed up, or can we change our existing way of doing this. Any advice would be appreciated.
I need the procedure to upgrade a couple of Solaris clients from 188.8.131.52 to 184.108.40.206 and I can't get the admin guide link. Can someone send me the procedure or link.
I want to see if its similar to the AIX client upgrade.
Thanks in advance!
I have been looking for a release from symantec covering this topic. Does anyone have a reference to Symantec's take on this issue ?